You need to log in to create posts and topics.

2 machines: 1 Large CNC Mill of my own design and 2 retrofitting Masso to a clients 3.8mx1.6m router.

Pages:12

Hi,

I am based in Newcastle and working on two machines.

I have a back ground in IT/Electronics/Mechanical engineering(small amount) and some years in the servicing of large Sign printing equipment. So for me the CNC world has been calling for many years. So, I quite my job and attempting to pursue my dreams of a DIY CNC milling machine that can output professional  and low tolerance parts of my own design (any other peoples')

I have a pretty decent workshop with 3phase  Large manual lathe 5HP 52mm bore 410mm swing and a Brighport Clone (A Hartford) and am trying to get a bit of machining work to fill the gaps in

First one is documented here: https://www.instagram.com/diy.cnc.mad/

Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHskLVx9wE

Its been slow with a lot of hold ups. The latest being a tear-down of the spindle because there were a LOT of things wrong with it. Including a HSKA63 interface that was not machined correctly and did not clamp properly because in correct machining.  There was a A/C bearing that was upside down.  I had to make a new draw-bar because it had .2mm or play and the belleville washers would move around on the rod which is just ridiculous at 18000rpm.  The springs were incorrectly arranged and not all in pairs which is a big problem if you understand Belleville washers. Anyway have a look at instagram if you are interested.

In the end the machine has a work envelope of 1000 x 800 x 600mm. will weigh about 2000kg and have ATC , running  4kw Servoes on 35-55mm ball rails.  So, not you average little router.

I am probably going to use the Masso and when this other retrofit of a CNC router came up, I thought that it would be a great learning curve and shakedown to see if it would be a good fit for the big mill.

An that brings me to the Procam / Centroid router that I am currently retrofitting.

I am replacing all the 120VDC servos  with Leadshine NEMA34 easy servos (Hybrid Steppers) and ripping out everything related to the centroid. So, new touchscreen Keyboard/mouse mounted in the existing console.  New 24v power supply nice industrial salvaged part.  A MPG pendant.

I am of course keeping the Fuji FVR-E11 VFD and the HSD ES919 8kw spindle which has BT30 nose.

Currently all the electronics are installed and I spent the last few days drawing a wiring diagram. (which I am never going to show cause it is horrible to look at but it serves its purpose for both repair and diagnosis and also for the customer should I get hit by a truck :-))

I am also running just one 500w Leadshine Genuine power supply because based on the speed this machine will run at (not that fast) and the very light weight materials that are cutting, I don't think its going to be over loaded.

The power supply has 3 separate outputs :

I REALLY wanted to run the servo drives on AC but I just could not find a 50-60v AC transformer 🙁 at least not off the shelf and for a reasonable price. The Procam has a large transofrmer in it with 3 x 83v 3-phase outputs but damn just too high a voltage for the drives.  I thought about running the transformer on the 440 VAC input taps which would drop the voltage to 73 or something but that is still too high. if we had 380 VAC like other countries that might have worked. Oh well.

So that's about it for now.

I am still yet to power up the servos and spindle but on we go.

Oh and one more thing; all the servos belt drove the axes so I had to bore all the belt pulleys to work with the servos which had 14mm shaft versus 10 or 11mm (cant remember) ..on the Zaxis I had to actually turn down the shaft of the Stepper because there was not enough meat  in the pulley. So I actually had the whole servo in the 4-jaw and span that with a live centre!! vid of that on Instagram.

Anyway I hope that is of some interest!

Cheers!

Baller,

Looks good. Procam made some serious machines. Your own looks hectic! that some solid steel!

Nice work

Quote from TayloredTech on November 8, 2018, 5:08 am

Baller,

Looks good. Procam made some serious machines. Your own looks hectic! that some solid steel!

Nice work

Not mine....customer.

EDIT: Oh yeah mine....forgot about that. yeah it is a behemoth

OK. I'm posting the  schematic. Be nice! and im only doing so to maybe help someone else ... I'ts not 100% and please don't ask about the manual eject mess....I have my reasons.

EDIT: I updated it and cleaned it up - hope its of some use to someone.

Uploaded files:

Hi @lpnb, for your 120v servos, we have seen some servo motors where they have like a jumper wire to select the input voltage between 120v or 220v, so maybe yours also have that option, please check the drives again.

Quote from MASSO - Support on November 9, 2018, 2:40 am

Hi @lpnb, for your 120v servos, we have seen some servo motors where they have like a jumper wire to select the input voltage between 120v or 220v, so maybe yours also have that option, please check the drives again.

Thanks but no such luck.....I have ditched them anyway and using Leadshine Steppers.

I'd still need to find a Servo drive that can support that voltage!  I could not find and 120v servo drives let alone 220v (are you talking about the mains input voltage of the drive itself??? im talking about the actual servos being 120VDC)  seems most newer ones are lower like 60vdc and the existing servo Drive is a centroid unit with fibre optic connections....don't need that headache.

Oh and also they are DC and Brushed not brushless.

Some more pics of the Procam

inside the carriage showing the belt drive for the Z with the Z limit switch.
I had to turn the actual shaft of the Z Stepper because there was not enough meat in the Pulley to take it out to 14mm ( it looks like it but there isn't)
And the Y motor there on the right.

Masso with WiFi antenna mounted on a bracket since it sits inside a metal box I have a high gain antenna to mount outside the cabinet. Sorry @Masso for butchering the cover. 🙂

Not a Procam anymore 🙂 Or to be more correct not a Centroid.

A Work in progress

Some very rough die grinding to open up the hole for  the x Servo. there is no way a bigger servo would fit!

Quote from lpnb on November 8, 2018, 6:37 am

OK. I'm posting the bloody schematic. Be nice! and im only doing so to maybe help someone else ... I'ts not 100% and please don't ask about the manual eject mess....I have my reasons.

What are ypu talking about haha I expected it to be written in crayon. But it's shmick. Is that Visio?

Quote from TayloredTech on November 10, 2018, 9:41 pm
Quote from lpnb on November 8, 2018, 6:37 am

OK. I'm posting the bloody schematic. Be nice! and im only doing so to maybe help someone else ... I'ts not 100% and please don't ask about the manual eject mess....I have my reasons.

What are ypu talking about haha I expected it to be written in crayon. But it's shmick. Is that Visio?

thanks but i know some people will be cringing. LOL

i used visio years ago but couldn't get it going and it has good libraries. not good i don't tbink you you are designing proper electronics.

Its TinyCAD it's free is continually updated but lacks some components. you just make your own. its great! its simple, small and works on windows 10. i did however just find a online library, I'll see if i can find it if you want.  and it was set up by a guy that actually originally designed tinycad Way Back When.

Pages:12