Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Machine Tending Woes

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you have any machine tending woes. Do you find that you've automated most of your process, but you still have to manually load materials into your CNC machine? If so, what's stopping you from automating the machine tending process too?

I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Thanks, Heba.

hi everybody, we will appreciate if everyone can provide some infromato to Heba's startup and help her with some good feedback.

Quote from HKhamis on February 11, 2019, 8:29 am

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you have any machine tending woes. Do you find that you've automated most of your process, but you still have to manually load materials into your CNC machine? If so, what's stopping you from automating the machine tending process too?

I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Thanks, Heba.

Heyyy Heba, J-Tinda. (That's now your name I hope you like it)
Well if I could automate my entire being, I would certainly do it... Lack of time and money would be why I haven't automated loading of materials. Also space... Clearing a 2500x1300 bed takes a fair amount of it. For commercial customers it makes sense when mass producing items where time is money and you are looking to minimize personnel costs. I have seen robotics and sweeper arm loaders/ clearing mechanisms but again.

Cost vs turn over really..

Good one, now you have my brain thinking about what I can make for my machine! Still have the ATC to make...

Hi TayloredTech,

Thanks for your feedback.  Could you give me an idea of what materials (sheet size, thickness, etc) you are using and on average how many times you are loading/unloading per day?

Thanks,

Heba.

@HKhamis, are you trying to help us with (= sell) something? Or do I misunderstand this completely?

Quote from Jolbas on February 13, 2019, 6:53 am

@HKhamis, are you trying to help us with (= sell) something? Or do I misunderstand this completely?

Hi @Jolbas,

Sort of. We we are trying to determine (in an unbiased way, without telling you what our tech is) whether machine tending is a possible application space for some tech which we are currently commercializing.

Thanks,

Heba.

i think there is some confusion, @HKhamis is running a startup and curently doing some research on this topic so that she can first identify the industry needs and then focus on the design. So at this stage its the feedback and experience she needs from makers.

thanks everyone.

Yes I was a little confused,  but I understand now.

I haven't given automatic machine tending a lot of thoughts yet. I use my Masso controlled plasma cutter mainly to cut single unique parts or very small series (<10). Actually I'm building a little different manual material loading system. My cnc gantry is hanging on the wall and the cutting table is on wheels. This makes it easy to reach cut parts and a possibility to load heavy sheet metal using the forklift away from sensitive gantry. The table size is 2.6 m x 1.3 m and currently I'm just loading material once a week or so. And it can be everything from wobbling 1mm sheet to 600 kg 25 mm sheet.

I think it will be hard to find the information you need here as most users from my knowledge are hobbyists or custom low volume manufacturing so auto loading would always be nice but wouldn't be cost effective.
I will cut some ply, MDF, Aluminium but so far not one sheet has been the same size...

Sorry!

Mitch

Thanks for your feedback TayloredTech and Jolbas. Your comments are actually very helpful.

Thanks, Heba.