Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Rotary for router mill

I have my router cnc  up and working. Thanks to all the help I got here. Now I want to hook up my rotary, fourth or fifth axis? I do not know if Masso will do that. I hope so. I have done it in Mach3 but do not know where or how to start in Masso? I have the Y and B axis wire parallel.

Thank You

Roie

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_4133.JPG
  • IMG_4134.JPG
  • IMG_4136.JPG

Nice machine rroie

Traditionally the A axis is used for rotary.

Just connect your stepper motor driver to the A axis and put a check in the Angular Axis box on the axis setup screen. This will change the settings to degrees and you can fill in the appropriate settings from there.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

Roie,

Further to what Peter said you need to calculate your settings as follows,

The degrees per revolution value, how many revolutions does the stepper make for a complete revolution of the chuck?

Divide that value into 360 and enter the resultant figure into MASSO A axis setup.

Regards,

Arie.

Trying to figure this thing out. I guess I am going to add a stepper driver for the A axis. The stepper motor has to turn 36 rev for one of the chuck. When I put those numbers in the A axis setup screen it says at the top .5Khz  pulses per rev. Does that mean 500 pulses per rev on the DM542T stepper driver?

Do not understand pulses per rev or where to get it. The rest of the DM542T stepper drivers are set at 1600. Of course those are direct drive.

I assume I must disable the Y axis somewhere when I use the Rotary?

Any and all help is surely appreciated

Roie

Uploaded files:
  • DM542T.jpg
  • Print-Screen-001.bmp

Just saved and reopened the A axis set up box and now it looks like this:

Uploaded files:
  • Print-Screen-002.bmp
Quote from rroie on August 11, 2019, 6:58 pm

Trying to figure this thing out. I guess I am going to add a stepper driver for the A axis. The stepper motor has to turn 36 rev for one of the chuck. When I put those numbers in the A axis setup screen it says at the top .5Khz  pulses per rev. Does that mean 500 pulses per rev on the DM542T stepper driver?

Do not understand pulses per rev or where to get it. The rest of the DM542T stepper drivers are set at 1600. Of course those are direct drive.

I assume I must disable the Y axis somewhere when I use the Rotary?

The Pulses per Revolution is the number that you have set the driver too. The number that appears at the top of the setup screen is the result of the figures you entered.

The best thing to do is set the driver to the same settings as your other drivers and adjust the figure in A axis setup.

Pulses per Revolution is the number of pulses the driver will send to the stepper for it to complete one revolution. The fact that the steppers are direct drive or geared doesn't come in to it.

You shouldn't need to disable the Y axis as long as your CAM software produces the correct gCode to rotate the A axis.

You may need to adjust the figures in the A axis setup to calibrate the rotation.

Hope this helps you to understand.

Regards,

Arie.

What is the correct g code? Aspire does not have Masso rotation. Has Mach2/3-WrapY ATC(inch)(*.txt). Has metric also. Mach2/3-Wrap work in Masso?

If not what cad, g code generator do I need?

Thank You

Roie

I have used fusion 360 on my mill, l am running ac servo motors on my mill and my 4th axis, rotary table, is a stepper motor.

Uploaded files:

@rroie  @masso-support

Don't know much about Aspire, you'll have to get Peter of MASSO Support to write/modify Aspire's MASSO post processor.

I myself use Fusion 360 to produce my CAD & CAM.

Mach 2/3 Wrap would probably work. You would need to check the gCode that the G & M commands contained therein are supported by MASSO.

If you haven't printed the MASSO CHEAT SHEET I suggest that you do.

Regards

Arie.

Hi rroie

It's on my list to look at the rotary axis post processor and see if I can make one for Masso in Vectric software.

I will see what I can do.

Cheers

Peter