Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Tool holder cuteness

this is just something I came across and was some good information on what not to do. I was concerned about chips and an auger style chip removal system for this reason not for the auger itself but for the area of the enclosure where it would sit. on commercial machines this area is usually part of the casting of the machine base and very thick and strong. on a DIY build this will not be the case and some weak part of the link would suffer some kind of mechanical failure as a result chips getting wedged between the auger and area it rides in.

I think this would be a good stating point but there are a few things I would do differently as far as driving the conveyor. With the belt on this set up I think the belt should be more open so if you have bigger chips it can handle those as well.

Very interesting video @machinedude. First of all I have to say I gotta get a 3D printer one of these days. I didn't catch weather all of the chain parts were printed or not?  Definitely liked the drag chain system design. I don't seem to ever use that much coolant and it looks like the mesh screens will probably plug rapidly either starving the pump,for coolant or raising the level of coolant in the reservoir area of the conveyor to overflow level.

Quote from evermech on July 6, 2019, 3:43 pm

Very interesting video @machinedude. First of all I have to say I gotta get a 3D printer one of these days. I didn't catch weather all of the chain parts were printed or not?  Definitely liked the drag chain system design. I don't seem to ever use that much coolant and it looks like the mesh screens will probably plug rapidly either starving the pump,for coolant or raising the level of coolant in the reservoir area of the conveyor to overflow level.

I think I have a plan for one that should be cheap and effective. i'm thinking dual chain with wiper blades tack welded to the links that ride in a square or rectangle tank that holds the coolant across the front of the machine. on the pump side I can have slats that that act as a chip filter in stages that start off with some course perforation on the first stage but have a second stage behind that one with some fine screen material and end up being in front of the pump to keep the chips out of the pump. running a dual chin would leave the center wide open for everything to fall into. would only need a wiper slat every foot or so and could even go an extra step and either have a hard rubber wiper to act as wear point to protect the sheet metal in your tank. I came across a DC motor that would be strong enough to drive it that has an rmp of 50 but I would gear it down so it would end up being slower yet to the point of 5 to 10 rpm. this motor was around $70 and sprockets of chain are cheap and chain is not to bad on price either. I think it could be done for $500 or less taking a guess? could even plumb some flood coolant ports to wash things towards the tank.

never thought about that style of conveyor until I came across that video. needless to say he got the wheels turning in my head.

little bit of progress so I figured I would share. For the most part I have one side of the X axis together and working. I still need to fine tune some stuff but it's working. probably won't get first prize on beauty but I have functional 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • 0709191445a.jpg
  • 0709191446.jpg

Hey @machinedude that looks pretty darn good. I see there's a lip under their to prevent the covers from lifting up so should wipe off clean 👍👍

Quote from evermech on July 10, 2019, 1:06 am

Hey @machinedude that looks pretty darn good. I see there's a lip under their to prevent the covers from lifting up so should wipe off clean

the covers should never lift up with how they are made. the basic guide rails are like T slots and the covers have Delrin slides that are locked on the rails, the sides are bolted to the cover sections. The bends on the bottom of the sections help with this too but mostly just add strength to the sections. the section on the table is fixed to the table and the end cover is fixed to the guide rail.