Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Vectric Postprocessor

hi Masso Support,

do you have the post processor for vcarve pro on oscillating tangential knife, or i can used the post processor on documentation page?

thanks

Rex

Hi Rex,

I have to concede that i don't know about the knife of which you speak but if you can let me know what vectric post processor you normally use for it I can have a look for you.

Cheers

Peter

Quote from MASSO Support on August 17, 2019, 12:37 am

Hi Rex,

I have to concede that i don't know about the knife of which you speak but if you can let me know what vectric post processor you normally use for it I can have a look for you.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

I am new user of this vcarve pro software and I just downloaded the version 9.5 . I asking this because the tangential knife rotate the blade on were the line. It's like using the 4 axis. I saw that there is the post processor for tangential knife for sheetcam. The only thing I am worrying is if there a way to turn in ON and OFF the tangential knife before going were to cut Like spindle.

Thanks

Rex

Hi Rex,

I have looked a bit deeper into  knife control and as i understand it there are 2 types.

The first is the Drag knife where the knife is free moving on bearings and so will figure out it's own direction vectors as it is dragged from one point to the next.  Vcarve & Aspire have Drag knife gadget built in to created the required toolpath.  This would use the standard post processor for Masso and should work fine.

The second type is the Tangential Knife which has it's own stepper motor and is usually controlled by the A axis which is rotary. There is however no specific Tangential post processor that I can find to generate the required Axis Gcode. A bit more searching and it appears that they just use the standard 3 Axis Post processor and rely on the control software to generate the rotary Axis vector. Masso does not have this functionality built in. This is my understanding of how these knives work and if I am wrong please correct me.

If you need the rotary axis and you can find a Vectric post processor that generates the A axis I could create a Masso version of it but I do not have the skill to write one from scratch.  The knife angle vector would need to be calculated before each move and the knife direction set before the X & Y moved. I'm not entirely sure it could even be done within the post processor itself to be honest.

If I have misunderstood your setup let me know and if the VCarve pro version you downloaded is a trial version and you need a test file I can make one for you.

Cheers

Peter

Quote from MASSO Support on August 17, 2019, 9:18 am

Hi Rex,

I have looked a bit deeper into  knife control and as i understand it there are 2 types.

The first is the Drag knife where the knife is free moving on bearings and so will figure out it's own direction vectors as it is dragged from one point to the next.  Vcarve & Aspire have Drag knife gadget built in to created the required toolpath.  This would use the standard post processor for Masso and should work fine.

The second type is the Tangential Knife which has it's own stepper motor and is usually controlled by the A axis which is rotary. There is however no specific Tangential post processor that I can find to generate the required Axis Gcode. A bit more searching and it appears that they just use the standard 3 Axis Post processor and rely on the control software to generate the rotary Axis vector. Masso does not have this functionality built in. This is my understanding of how these knives work and if I am wrong please correct me.

If you need the rotary axis and you can find a Vectric post processor that generates the A axis I could create a Masso version of it but I do not have the skill to write one from scratch.  The knife angle vector would need to be calculated before each move and the knife direction set before the X & Y moved. I'm not entirely sure it could even be done within the post processor itself to be honest.

If I have misunderstood your setup let me know and if the VCarve pro version you downloaded is a trial version and you need a test file I can make one for you.

Cheers

Peter

hi Peter,

i am quoting this..

(Masso does not have this functionality built in. This is my understanding of how these knives work and if I am wrong please correct me.)

i saw this YouTube video using Tangential Knife using SheetCam post processor and 4 axis to turn the blade.

thanks

Rex

Thanks for the Video Rex, I'm always happy to be wrong but in this case I don't think I am.

I should point out when i said i could find no post processor that output the A axis I am talking about Vectric Post processors because that is what you were asking about.

I had a look at the Tangential Sheetcam post processor and as I suspected it is calculating the A axis angle and including it in the Gcode to make the A Axis move.  This is what i was saying. A special post processor would need to be written to calculate the A axis motion for every move and none of the Vectric Post processors that I could see have this capability. Vectric rely on the controller calculating the A axis rotation in real time using the X & Y coordinates and Masso doesn't do this.  It relies on the GCode file to control the A Axis and from the video it looks like it works very well.

You can see the snippet of GCode I generated with the Sheetcam Post Processor and you will see all the A Axis movements in the GCode.

N0970 G02 X682.2809 Y172.8782 A17.9017 I123.3977 J0.0000
N0980 G00 A17.0096
N0990 G02 X730.7016 Y232.7063 A60.9590 I98.3444 J-30.0850
N1000 G00 A62.1257
N1010 G02 X795.2368 Y245.3960 A95.6257 I53.3493 J-100.8685
N1020 G00 A95.4637
N1030 G02 X853.5597 Y221.7012 A128.7571 I-10.4620 J-109.3773
N1040 G00 A126.6389
N1050 G01 X856.0229 Y219.8693 F100
N1060 G00 Z50.0000
N1070 A45.4188
N1080 Z-2.0000

I'm not saying you can't use your Tangential Knife with Masso because clearly you can as seen in the video. I'm just saying that from what I have seen of the VCarve Post processors, they do not generate the necessary Gcode to do this. Reading the Vectric Post processor editing guide it does not mention that it has the ability to carry out calculations within the post processor itself which leads me to believe that it won't work even if I could figure out the maths in this case.

If you can point me to a Vectric Post Processor that does the necessary Tangential output I will be able to modify it to suit Masso but if not, SheetCam  looks to like it will work a treat for you.

Cheers

Peter

Quote from MASSO Support on August 17, 2019, 12:25 pm

Thanks for the Video Rex, I'm always happy to be wrong but in this case I don't think I am.

I should point out when i said i could find no post processor that output the A axis I am talking about Vectric Post processors because that is what you were asking about.

I had a look at the Tangential Sheetcam post processor and as I suspected it is calculating the A axis angle and including it in the Gcode to make the A Axis move.  This is what i was saying. A special post processor would need to be written to calculate the A axis motion for every move and none of the Vectric Post processors that I could see have this capability. Vectric rely on the controller calculating the A axis rotation in real time using the X & Y coordinates and Masso doesn't do this.  It relies on the GCode file to control the A Axis and from the video it looks like it works very well.

You can see the snippet of GCode I generated with the Sheetcam Post Processor and you will see all the A Axis movements in the GCode.

N0970 G02 X682.2809 Y172.8782 A17.9017 I123.3977 J0.0000
N0980 G00 A17.0096
N0990 G02 X730.7016 Y232.7063 A60.9590 I98.3444 J-30.0850
N1000 G00 A62.1257
N1010 G02 X795.2368 Y245.3960 A95.6257 I53.3493 J-100.8685
N1020 G00 A95.4637
N1030 G02 X853.5597 Y221.7012 A128.7571 I-10.4620 J-109.3773
N1040 G00 A126.6389
N1050 G01 X856.0229 Y219.8693 F100
N1060 G00 Z50.0000
N1070 A45.4188
N1080 Z-2.0000

I'm not saying you can't use your Tangential Knife with Masso because clearly you can as seen in the video. I'm just saying that from what I have seen of the VCarve Post processors, they do not generate the necessary Gcode to do this. Reading the Vectric Post processor editing guide it does not mention that it has the ability to carry out calculations within the post processor itself which leads me to believe that it won't work even if I could figure out the maths in this case.

If you can point me to a Vectric Post Processor that does the necessary Tangential output I will be able to modify it to suit Masso but if not, SheetCam  looks to like it will work a treat for you.

Cheers

Peter

hi Peter,

sorry i misunderstood you, in this case i cannot used the vcarve on this, instead i will used the sheetcam for generating the g-code using the sheetcam post processor. one last thing peter i read in the post processor of sheetcam that there is M03 and M04 for spindle. is that possible to used the spindle output to trigger the ON and OFF of the Tangential.

thanks a lot

Rex

Uploaded files:
  • 1.PNG

Hi Rex

I had a look through the generated GCode file I made in Sheetcam and it puts an M3 at the start and an M5 at the end.

This will turn on and off the clockwise opto coupler which you could use to start and stop the knife but it will depend on what sort of on / off the oscillator requires. If it needs a relay you might be better off changing the M3 command in the post processor to M62 P1 and allocate it to a relay output. Use M63 P1 to turn it off instead of the current M5. Either way there will be no problem getting it to turn on and off.

Cheers

Peter

Quote from MASSO Support on August 18, 2019, 12:34 am

Hi Rex

I had a look through the generated GCode file I made in Sheetcam and it puts an M3 at the start and an M5 at the end.

This will turn on and off the clockwise opto coupler which you could use to start and stop the knife but it will depend on what sort of on / off the oscillator requires. If it needs a relay you might be better off changing the M3 command in the post processor to M62 P1 and allocate it to a relay output. Use M63 P1 to turn it off instead of the current M5. Either way there will be no problem getting it to turn on and off.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much, now it is all clear to me. I will post here the video of this project to help also the other user who are planning to make there on machine..

Thanks again Peter, I will buy a 🍻. Hehehehe.

Rex