Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Why no G76 threading?

Quote from Nemo1966 on March 30, 2018, 10:36 pm
Quote from buschbwbusch on March 30, 2018, 8:47 am

Why not just use Cam. Autodesk Fusion 360 is free u can thread all day. G code is G code. Masso is offering good service along with an extremely reasonably priced controller u won’t get that from Linux or mach3. Plus Linux threading canned cycles are still different than say haas or fanuc

Autodesk Fusion is only free for 30 days AND since I have never used cam software then that would mean learning that as well - just so I can add a thread???

Mach3: Full PC with Monitor £60.00, Mach3 licence £150.00, BoB £20.00 = Total £230.00

LinuxCNC: Licence FREE, Mesa 5i25 £100.00, Full PC £60.0, BoB £20.00 = Total £160.00

Masso: £300.00 + UK VAT and Import duty  £158.00, Monitor £30.00 = Total £488.00 (then add £250.00 a year for Fusion???)

**** Full PC - Core Duo 3ghz cpu(s), 4gig Ram 22inch monitor

Reasonably Priced you say? and doesn't even support G76? See my point?

"Plus Linux threading canned cycles are still different than say haas or fanuc" - But at least they are there and if you wanted to convert the G-Code to HAAS or Funac it is a very simple operation to convert a single line of g-code. Tormach are now also using the LinuxCNC base for their PathPilot conversational proogramming.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of the Masso, the idea is brilliant and when I first saw it I was gobsmacked, but then I saw the price... that dented my enthusiasm a bit, so I looked into it more and all the comments are the same, great hardware but the software is far too basic e.g only G32 threading.

However Mach3 threading is a laughing stock (great when it works but often fails) - hence needing to "Upgrade". 99% of my programs involve threads as well, but having to change hundreds of lines of G32 code as opposed to a single G76 is a definite no go. With G76 I can copy a single line into the G-Code, change a couple of parameters and hey presto completely new thread in seconds (no cam needed).

The basics needed for such a controller (lathe software) are:

G76 threading

Conversational G-Gode (Wizards): OD turning, ID turning, Threading, Taper OD (ID would also be nice), OD turning with radius.

OD Arc would also be a nice addition.

Conversational G-Gode (Wizards) are why Mach3 became so popular, easy to set up and then no need for CAM's on most projects, you could basically build up your shapes using the wizards, splice them together in g-code - sorted. I *think* LinuxCNC does this now and will splice them into the g-code at the touch of a button (researching LinuxCNC at present), it seems a little complicated to set up - but once it is set up then it is VERY powerful and real-time.

Again I love the idea of the Masso and if it had better software I would have bought it in an instant, but to go to all the expense and effort of producing such great hardware and then skimp on the software is madness. It's akin to buying a PC with 32gig Ram, i7 quad core 4.2ghz cpu and then running MS Dos 6.22 on it.

No offence is intended in this post, it started as a question about G76 and turned into constructive criticism.

Regards

Steve - UK

Thanks for the points and we also would like to speed up things, we had a major setback with the chips manufacturer stopping support on USB drivers and a lot of time went into fixing the USB drivers.

We have a few updates coming up with support for more tool changers etc and will also be trying to prioritise threading and tapping cycles.

Quote from Nemo1966 on March 29, 2018, 8:05 pm

Why no G76 threading? I tried asking on the support ticket system but I only got the reply "we use G32 for threading".

So why no G76?

I am upgrading my system from Mach3 and Masso looks great on the face of it, but then just little bits that are essential are missing, G76 for instance. At this point now I have to look at LinuxCNC, apparently this happens quite a lot.

Thanks

Steve

So while the G76 cycles are released, cant you simply generate threading gcode using the MASSO threading conversational wizard?

Yes I could - initially I was asking if G76 was going to be added, I see it is and as such I am satisfied with that aspect.

The two other areas that I am concerned about are Wireless connectivity and the spindle pulse endcoder. I appreciate that a single pulse is not good enough for threading (a Mach3 limitation). However my machine has the below system of encoders:

Encoder

As you can see it uses 3 pulses, I single pulse per rev and then two multiple pulse per rev. Will this work on Masso?

thanks

Steve

This is a perfect setup and will work with MASSO as the output will be A, B and Index signals like a proper encoder.

What machine is that?

It is a Denford Easiturn 3.

Any news on wireless?

We are just getting ready for the beta release of the main software and WiFi will also follow after that.

Concerning the wireless - are you going to have facility to connect some type of antenna to the wireless card on the Masso? I ask because many people keep such controllers and attached electronics (stepper drivers etc) in cases that are usually made of steel. This would of course act like a Faraday cage and block wireless signals. Having an antenna (wire) that can be routed to the outside of the case would obviously help tremendously.

regards

Steve

Yes there will be a version of the wifi module that will have an option to run a cable to an antenna.

@masso-support This is the post i was talking about.

Quote from ECS on August 13, 2019, 5:21 am

@masso-support This is the post i was talking about.

Still no G76 that I can see and the networking is practically all but useless  - unfortunately